Visa Guidelines

International students interested in MA Religious Studies may require a Student Visa to enter Germany. In order to obtain a student visa you must apply for a visa in your home country at the German Embassy or Consulate nearest you.

In general, the following documents must be submitted along with a visa application form:

• Notification of admission to study at the University of Erfurt;

• Proof of sufficient financial means to cover living expenses for the duration of at least the first academic year in Erfurt (currently approximately 550 Euro per month) ;

• Copy of a higher education entrance qualification;

• Health certificate, if necessary (for further information please inquire at the German embassy in your home country);

• The submission of additional documents (e.g., your birth certificate) may be necessary depending on your country of origin.

However we strongly suggest you checking the website of the German Embassy in your home country to get the latest requirements for the visa. You can search for the website of German Embassy in your country via the website of German Federal Foreign Office at

For students from EC countries, Switzerland, Canada and the USA, no entry visa is required. Processing a visa application usually takes up to three months.

Please apply as early as possible!

You are strictly advised not to travel to Germany on a tourist visa because a tourist visa cannot be converted into a student visa. Entering Germany on a tourist visa would not enable you to enroll at the University of Erfurt and would instead require you to leave Germany after three months!!!

After their arrival in Erfurt all international students must apply for a residence permit from the local Foreigners' Registration Authority. The International Office will help you with your application.