The University of Erfurt is the youngest and at the same time one of the oldest public institutions of higher education in Germany. Founded in 1392 as the third German university after Heidelberg and Cologne, Erfurt developed into one of the country's largest and most attractive educational centers. In 1816 the university was closed, and after German unification reopened in 1994 with an ambitious reform programme. The educational concept of the University of Erfurt is based on scholarly excellence, interdisciplinary study, open channels of communication and a strong international profile.
Erfurt is a university of short distances. Faculties, lecture halls as well as student services and residence halls are located on campus ten minutes from downtown Erfurt. The campus offers students and staff a cafeteria, a student club, computer labs, a modern Language Training Center, and sports facilities. The university clubs, the orchestra and the choir are open to students and members of the university. The new university library, which currently houses over 700,000 volumes and new media sources, offers extended opening hours (08:00 to 22:00). The campus in Nordhäuserstraße is easily accessible via public or private transport.
Located at the heart of Europe, the University of Erfurt aims to be a gate to the world. The university's statement of mission incorporates leading educational concepts from around the globe and places a strong emphasis on international exchange. Erfurt fosters world-wide educational exchange, hosts a rapidly growing multicultural community of guest scholars and students and has designed an internationally attractive programme of research and study.