[publicclassics] The Ancient Throne

Kai Brodersen kai.brodersen at uni-erfurt.de
Di Sep 29 08:23:35 CEST 2020

Dear Friends and Colleagues,
We are pleased to announce the publication of “The Ancient Throne: The Mediterranean, Near East, and Beyond, from the 3rd Millennium BCE to the 14th Century CE”, co-edited by Dana Brostowsky Gilboa and me and published by Austrian Academy of Sciences Press (https://austriaca.at/8556-7?frames=yes).
The volume features studies focusing on specific thrones known from historical texts, artistic depictions, or excavations, or that offer an overview of the role of thrones from as early as ancient Mesopotamia in the 3rd millennium BCE to as late as Iran and China in the 14th century CE. Its diverse articles all present thrones as a meaningful category of material culture, one that may inspire both inter-cultural and intra-cultural insights on how types of chairs may embody or induce notions of kingship and a range of concepts pertaining to the religious, ideological, and social spheres.
We are so very grateful to the authors for their wonderful contributions, to colleagues who provided much-appreciated anonymous peer-reviews, to ICAANE for hosting the Ancient Throne Workshop at Vienna in 2016, and to our publishers, the Austrian Academy of Sciences Press. Finally, we express our gratitude to our first academic home, the Mandel Scholion Interdisciplinary Research Center in the Humanities and Jewish Studies at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, for their ongoing support of the publication.
Please see the table of contents below, and please also see more information by the Austrian Academy of Sciences here<https://austriaca.at/8556-7?frames=yes>.
With many best wishes on behalf of both Dana Brostowsky Gilboa and me,
Liat Naeh
*****
The Ancient Throne: The Mediterranean, Near East, and Beyond, from the 3rd Millennium BCE to the 14th Century CE. Proceedings of the Workshop held at the 10th ICAANE in Vienna, April 2016, eds. L. Naeh and D. Brostowsky Gilboa. International Series OREA 14. Vienna: Austrian Academy of Sciences Press.
Table of Contents:
Preface by the Series Editor
Liat Naeh – Dana Brostowsky Gilboa: Preface
Liat Naeh: In the Presence of the Ancient Throne: An Introduction
Claudia E. Suter: The Play with Throne Designs in Third Millennium BCE Mesopotamia
Caroline J. Tully – Sam Crooks: Enthroned Upon Mountains: Constructions of Power in the Aegean Bronze Age
Christina Ruth Johnson: To Sit in Splendour: The Ivory Throne as an Agent of Identity in Tomb 79 from Salamis, Cyprus
Yael Young: Throne Among the Gods: A Short Study of the Throne in Archaic Greek Iconography
Aaron Koller: Thrones and Crowns: On the Regalia of the West Semitic Monarchy
Elizabeth Simpson: The Throne of King Midas
Niccolò Manassero: The Ivory Thrones from Parthian Nisa: Furniture Design between Philhellenism and Iranian Revival
Sheila Blair: Women Enthroned: From Mongol to Muslim
Allegra Iafrate: Solomon as Kosmokratōr and the Fashioning of his Mechanical Throne from a Comparative Perspective
--
Liat Naeh, PhD
Research Associate, The Archaeology Centre, University of Toronto

Online: @Homepage<https://sites.google.com/mail.huji.ac.il/liatnaeh/>, @Academia.edu<https://metmuseum.academia.edu/LiatNaeh> and @Twitter<https://twitter.com/LiatNaeh>

Tel: (647) 831-8594