[publicclassics] The Geography of Urbanism in Roman Asia Minor / Willet

Kai Brodersen kai.brodersen at uni-erfurt.de
Mi Jan 15 11:05:07 CET 2020

Equinox is pleased to announce the publication of

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D5C228.902630C0]

The Geography of Urbanism in Roman Asia Minor
Rinse Willet, University of Leuven
HB      £100/$135
e-PDF  £100/$135
418pp, 105 maps, graphs and photos, colour and black and white

Quote the code Roman for 25% off when ordering from the book page which also has more information on the contents of the book:
https://www.equinoxpub.com/home/geography-urbanism/

A work of remarkable originality and scholarship... a brilliant landmark study that is a game changer in urban history and urban archaeology of the ancient world.
John Bintliff, Honorary Professor in Classical Archaeology, Edinburgh University

The Geography of Urbanism in Roman Asia Minor investigates how Roman urbanism manifested itself in Asia Minor during the first three centuries CE, particularly with regards to its spatial patterning over the landscape and the administrative, economic and cultural functions cities fulfilled, and how cities developed in terms of size and monumentality. It also addresses to what extent this was a result of political and socio-cultural and economic context and to what extent 'structural determinants', such as the physical topography, agricultural potential and climate (including the shifts/changes therein) influenced the observed patterns. As Asia Minor was already dotted by cities long before the Romans got a hold on this area during the second century BCE, this work compares urbanism of the first three centuries CE with the patterns of cities during the first millennium BCE (Classical and Hellenistic period particularly) and the Byzantine and Ottoman patterns, creating a long term perspective. The book contains an appendix with the information for the 500 cities and 1000 villages in Asia Minor.

Valerie Hall
Equinox Publishing Ltd
Office 415, The Workstation
15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield, S1 2BX
UK
Tel:+44 (0)114 221 0285
www.equinoxpub.com<http://www.equinoxpub.com>

Equinox Publishing is committed to protecting and safeguarding your personal data. As part of this commitment, we've updated our privacy policy to meet the high standards of the new European data protection law, known as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Our updated policy<https://www.equinoxpub.com/home/privacy/> explains your rights under this new law and will become effective 23 May 2018. By continuing to use our sites and apps after this date, you agree to these updated terms.