[publicclassics] Roman Law before the TwelveTables: An Interdisciplinary Approach

Sinclair Bell sinclair.bell at gmail.com
Fr Apr 3 19:33:54 CEST 2020

*Roman Law before the Twelve Tables: An Interdisciplinary Approach*

Edited by Sinclair W. Bell, Northern Illinois University, and Paul J. du
Plessis, University of Edinburgh

Bringing together a team of international experts from different subject
areas – including law, history, archaeology and anthropology – this book
re-evaluates the traditional narratives surrounding the origins of Roman
law before the enactment of the Twelve Tables. Much is now known about the
archaic period, relevant evidence from later periods continues to emerge
and new methodologies bring the promise of interpretive inroads. This book
explores whether, in light of recent developments in these fields, the
earliest history of Roman law should be reconsidered. Drawing upon the
critical axioms of contemporary sociological and anthropological theory,
the contributors yield new insights and offer new perspectives on Rome’s
early legal history. In doing so, they seek to revise our understanding of
Roman legal history as well as to enrich our appreciation of its culture as
a whole.

216 pages. Published March 2020.

ISBN Hardback: 9781474443968

eBook (ePub): 9781474443999