[Ausschreibungsdienst_Kai_Brodersen] Providence / Brown Univ.: Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowship in Critical Cultural Heritage

Kai Brodersen kai.brodersen at uni-erfurt.de
Thu Jan 26 19:15:51 CET 2017

Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowship in Critical Cultural Heritage
Brown University, Providence, RI

Brown University’s Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient
World and Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology invite applications for a
Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowship in Critical Cultural Heritage. This
position is to be held jointly with the Cogut Center for the Humanities
for a term of two years beginning in July 2017. We seek exceptional
junior scholars who augment or complement the present strengths and
diversity of our communities at Brown University, and who enhance our
commitment to inclusive education and research.

We are particularly interested in archaeologists who approach cultural
heritage as an interdisciplinary field devoted to the many dimensions of
cultural heritage, in particular as material, intangible, emotional, and
intellectual. We wish to encourage engagements with cultural and
material heritage that challenge dominant nationalist and other
ideological frameworks and incorporate the active participation of local
communities and marginalized peoples in heritage discourses and
representations. We can also envision teaching, advising and research
that from a critical perspective on cultural heritage explore topics
such as: authenticity, identity, ideology, ownership, commodification,
culture and conflict, trauma and memorialization, indigenous rights, and
hybridity and cosmopolitanism.

Applicants will have received a Ph.D. within the past five (5) years
from an institution other than Brown in the fields of Anthropology,
Archaeology, Museum Studies, or Cultural Studies. Fellows will and teach
two courses each year (which will be cross-listed in the Cogut Center's
Humanities course offerings). The fellow will also be affiliated with
the Cogut Center and is expected to participate in the weekly Tuesday
seminars as well as other activities of the Center. Fellows will receive
a stipend of $61,500, with an increase to $63,907 the second year, plus
benefits and a research budget of $2,000 per year.

All candidates should submit a letter of application, short descriptions
of 3-4 proposed courses, curriculum vitae, and contact information for
three references by March 15, 2017.  Applications received by March 15,
2017 will receive full consideration, but the search will remain open
until the position is closed or filled.

Please submit application materials online at
apply.interfolio.com/40133.  There is no need to provide hard copies of
application materials for those that have already been submitted
electronically.

For further information:
Professors Robert Preucel and Peter van Dommelen
Co-Chairs, Search Committee
c/o Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World
Brown University
Box 1837 / 60 George Street
Providence, RI 02912
Joukowsky_Institute at brown.edu