[publicclassics] New publication - Pocket GCSE Latin Etymological Lexicon

Caroline K Mackenzie ckm at carolinetutor.co.uk
Di Sep 27 15:20:54 CEST 2022

Dear colleagues,

The following book, recently published by Bloomsbury Academic, may be of
interest to members of the list.

Kind regards,

Caroline K. Mackenzie

 <http://www.carolinetutor.co.uk/> www.carolinetutor.co.uk

Pocket GCSE Latin Etymological Lexicon

Author: Caroline K. Mackenzie

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/pocket-gcse-latin-etymological-lexicon-9781350
320758/

Looking at your Latin GCSE vocab list and wondering where to start? Teaching
yourself Latin and wanting a refresher on some of the most common Latin
words? Interested in how Latin can help us better understand the meaning of
modern English? Then this is the book for you!

- Includes every word in the GCSE vocabulary lists of OCR and Eduqas.

- Each word is parsed and translated.

- Derivatives given include everyday ones and some surprises.

- Space is offered for you to annotate as you learn - and note other
derivatives you may come across too!

- A concise introduction, glossary and appendices support the word lists.

- With 20 illustrations by Amanda Short.

Essential for GCSE revision, this short book is a 'vade mecum' for all
learners of Latin as well as cruciverbalists.

'Declensions have for some proved to be the instrument of their ascent.
'Pari passu' and 'mutatis mutandis', that will indubitably be true for every
lector of Caroline Mackenzie's brilliant Latin compendium.' Professor Paul
Cartledge, University of Cambridge.

' 'Carpe verba'! (Grasp the words!) A hugely fun and useful tool for Latin
learners. I wish I'd had this book when I was learning Latin.' Caroline
Lawrence, author of 'The Roman Mysteries'.

'This is just the ticket for GCSE students and crossword addicts alike.' Dr
John Taylor, University of Manchester.

Caroline K. Mackenzie is a private tutor in Latin and Greek and an
independent scholar, UK. She previously worked as a lawyer and taught as a
Head of Classics. Her publications include 'Culture and Society at
Lullingstone Roman Villa' (Archaeopress, 2019).